Sunday, February 24, 2008

Day 13 - Thirty Six Days


Psalms 32:5 (NRSV) Then I acknowledged my sin to you, and I did not hide my iniquity; I said, "I will confess my transgressions to the LORD," and you forgave the guilt of my sin.

Michelle wandered down to my office with an interesting question. They were putting their son in a Christian school and the application was pretty detailed. One question had a about fifteen lines of blank space, indicating that they were prepared for a long answer. The question: When you stand before God in judgment, what will you say?

What will you say? I am sure that this was a tool for the school to determine whether or not you are a Christian. It occurred to me to answer with song lyrics. “I can only imagine what it will be like!” Or “Amazing grace, how sweet the sound!”

And then I thought of a courtroom scene.
“How do you plead?”
“I plead guilty, with a stipulation.”
“State your stipulation.”
“God be merciful to me, a sinner (Luke 18:13). I plead Jesus!”

I sure would hope to avoid allocution. You know, where you have to give an account of the details! Kyrie Eleison! Lord, Have Mercy!

What will you say?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'd probably pull a Job, mutter something very softly under my breath, and cower.