Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Day 3 - Thirty-Six Days


Day 3 – Thirty-Six Days

Isaiah 55:9 (NRSV) For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.

It is one of those amazing things about us as human beings that we can acknowledge this idea. There have been times when we begin to deny that it is true. There have been times in our history when we thought that Science and Reason would triumph over the problems faced by humanity. We thought that we could think it through. We could eradicate disease. We could be happy. We could confront all of the potential threats to the family of man. We have been humbled, however. We have not been able to stop warfare. The twentieth century was terribly bloody. We have seen new plagues. We have not successfully created a world of harmony.

God says, “My ways are higher. My thoughts are higher.” The story that we believe and teach, the story of the Bible says that God created and creates. God is breathing life and love into human beings. God has breathed life and love into you. We may wonder from time to time what we are doing and where we are going. We are praying that there is a point to it all. When we see Jesus, when we choose to follow Jesus in the Way for the sake of the world, I think we get a glimpse of the point of it all, of the ‘high’ way and the high thoughts of God.

I read this sentence this morning, “Saying kind words that are truthful and sincere and putting those words into action is a sure way to experience joy.”

Not my will, Father, but yours be done!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad you are blogging again, Michael. I always appreciate your insight and I look forward to reading.

Ryan Kirksey