Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Day 9 - Thirty Six Days


Philippians 4:8 (NRSV) Finally, beloved, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is pleasing, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence and if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.

What you think matters. We have some control over what we think. That is exactly why we would involve ourselves in a forty day discipline of reading Scripture together. We are thinking together!

The whole ‘gospeling’ enterprise is about mind renewal (See Rom 12:2), about thinking differently. We are thinking about the most important questions. What am I doing here? What is the purpose of my life? What is my destination? Are you asking those questions?

When our son was a toddler, we would ask him questions. As toddlers do, he was working on his sentence structures and word choices. Instead of saying, “I don’t know,” he would say, “I can’t know.” I would just smile at my little philosopher. Maybe we can’t know, exactly.

However, I think we can come to some decisions. We can make some choices about the purpose of our lives. We can think about those things that interest and motivate us. We can think about God. We can spend some serious time pursuing whatever is true, honorable, just and pure.

When we see it, we have an experience of reverence. It is beautiful, WONDER full, and worthy of praise. I hear Paul calling us to worship. He is calling us into the presence of that which is Holy. How can we keep from singing? These ‘things,’ the true, honorable, just, excellent things are around us every day. When we see them, and when we respond with praise, I think we are encouraged. God is with us. We are not alone. Life is good.

Be joyful! This is God’s love made visible. That is what I think!

No comments: