Monday, March 10, 2008

Day 27 - Thirty Six Days


Matthew 21:2-3 (NRSV) saying to them, "Go into the village ahead of you, and immediately you will find a donkey tied, and a colt with her; untie them and bring them to me. If anyone says anything to you, just say this, 'The Lord needs them.' And he will send them immediately."

This is an interesting story. Jesus tells some of his disciples to ‘borrow’ a burro. He has need of it. He is going to make a declaration of who he is. To come riding into Jerusalem on a donkey was a sign of the coming of a new age. The prophet Zechariah had said, “See your king comes to you, righteous and having salvation, gentle and riding on a donkey” (9:9).
However, I don’t think I want the job of going into the village and untying someone’s donkey. I can just imagine the owner (especially in Texas) being a little irritated by the rustling of his burro. Jesus says, “Just say this, ‘The Lord needs them.’ Couldn’t he send me with money?

Following Jesus is not always a comfortable thing. Faith is required. He sends. We go. We trust that there will be people who will give a donkey, when that is required. I think we find ourselves on both sides of this episode. Sometimes he sends us to do difficult things. Sometimes we surrender a donkey.

Not my will, Lord, but yours, be done.

No comments: