Sunday, March 02, 2008

Day 20 - Thirty Six Days


Matthew 16:23 (NRSV) But he turned and said to Peter, "Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to me; for you are setting your mind not on divine things but on human things."

I have the honor to share sacred space with a lot of people. Weddings and funerals are times of vulnerability and important conversation. A couple of years ago I was thinking with a young woman about her marriage that she thought was coming to an end. She was asking me for an opinion. What would be the right course of action. I told her, “I think I know what Jesus would do in this situation, but it is a lot to ask.” Jesus would choose to forgive. Jesus would take the wounds, would sorrow over the choices that had been made and then give himself in love.

Jesus seems always to be doing the perfect thing. We follow him, trusting. At times is seems a little ridiculous.

Matthew 9:24-25 (NRSV) ... he said, "Go away; for the girl is not dead but sleeping." And they laughed at him. 25 But when the crowd had been put outside, he went in and took her by the hand, and the girl got up.

The crowd knew a dead little girl when they saw one. They were sure. From a worldly perspective, they were right. They just did not know the resources Jesus had at his disposal. We who follow him wonder. Are those resources still available?

This is what I believe. God is for you. Does it mean we can forgive as Jesus forgave? Maybe. Does it mean we can love as Jesus loved? I think so. Would people think we were crazy for doing it? I think so. However, I think we will feel His Spirit moving in us and through us and for us as we dare to try.

No comments: